The latest news of interest to San Leandrans.
Video: Lt. Marc DeCoulode
- Written by Administrator
- Hits: 3571
San Leandro Police Share Crime Prevention Tips
- Hits: 6239
Sergeant Doug Calcagno shared these burglary and robbery tips:
- San Leandro has had 216 robberies to date in 2010 [the use of force or violence in unlawfully taking the property of another]
- Be aware of surroundings. Predators are looking for vulnerable people; predators pay attention to who is NOT paying attention.
- 95% of burglaries are caught by “nosy neighbors” calling the police; get the best description you can, license plate number, take notes and call police immediately
- Dogs, locks, alarms are all good preventative measures; however, a determined burglar can overcome all of these. But a nosy neighbor calling the police is what burglars fear most.
Lieutenant Jeff Tudor gave statistics and tips on auto theft
- 169,000 vehicles are stolen in California in a year
- San Leandro saw a drop in auto theft of 35% in 2010
- The most vulnerable cars for auto theft in Alameda County currently are:
- Honda Accord, 1990-1999
- Honda Civic, 1992-2000
- Toyota Camry, 1988-1995
- Acura Integra, 1990-1996
- Mechanical devices, always Lock auto
- Go to a locksmith and replace locks
- No lap tops or purses left in car within sight